Drug therapy also called pharmacotherapy is a general term for using medication to treat disease. It is the widest of therapy use globally.
The method of administration for drug therapy varies depending on the patient and the condition being treated. Medications may be taken orally in pill, capsule or liquid form, or may be injected into the tissues or muscles.
Medications are heavily researched and tested before being prescribed to patients, but may have unanticipated effects when combined with certain foods, herbal remedies, other drugs on even when use properly.
Drugs usually have single beneficial effects (e.g. the reduction of blood pressure(BP) by an ACE inhibitor in a patient with hypertension), but can have several adverse effects (e.g. hypotension, cough, hyperkalaemia, angio-oedema), each with a lower individual incidence than the beneficial effect.
As a function of eradicating disease, many drugs carry side effects which can be minor or at times severe. Here goes the saying “All drugs are poison, the benefit depends on the dosage.”
For optimal treatment outcome and to achieve the desired treatment goals with drug therapy, the healthcare providers need to inform the patient with at least a bare drug information which is referred to as counseling. The counseling information could be in written, verbal or combination of both.
- WHAT IS CARDIUM
Cardium is a mobile application that provides drug-counseling information as a drug-reference text for non-medical professionals.
Cardium provides consumers of medicine with a streamlined and concise information about medicines, dosages forms, diseases, mode of administration, and other health-related information.
This information will be easily access by the users or patients either to remind them or make them aware of them.
It is also equipped with other therapy aids such as a user-friendly medication reminder system, medication tracker and inventory, lifestyle management, counseling on special formulation, multidevice support feature and more…
- WHY BUILDING CARDIUM
Most medical reference text(if not all) are designed for healthcare professionals and are not suitable for drug consumers or patient use.
For consumers, too much drug information can be harmful as it predispose them to self medication and too little information can cause treatment failure.
Pharmacist, Doctor, and nurses cannot deliver all the counseling information and patient cannot remember all even if they do, in drug therapy.
You can’t have the best treatment outcome if you can’t remember how best to take your medications.
- BENEFITS OF CARDIUM TO DRUG CONSUMERS
- A source of secondary reminder about counseling information from healthcare providers in drug therapy.
- A source of drug-related information to help translate relevant drug terms to consumers.
- It help patient to take more responsibility for their well-being.
- Decrease hospital visit and morbidity due to treatment failure.
- A reminder system that remind on medication, lifestyle, and measurement.
- A tracker system that track medication consumption, and other health-related appointments.
- BENEFITS OF CARDIUM TO HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS
- This solution will reduce the information burden on healthcare providers.
- Serve as a source of reference in settings with high patient-to healthcare provider ratio for drug therapy.
- It facilitates better comprehension between the healthcare provider and the patient.
- It does not support or promote self-medication by its design model.
- It improves social, economic, & therapeutic outcome for the patient.
Pre-Signup for Cardium
Be the first to know when we launch Cardium. Enter your email and click on signup button below.